Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

State Champions!


http://www.yadkinvalleysports.com/2011/12/03/state-champs-west-stokes-rallies-past-kinston/
 This isn't really news about Vancouver, but news from back home in North Carolina that was just too exciting not to share.  West Stokes High School, (my old high school) just defeated Kinston High School to win the 2AA State Championship Football Game!!!  Unbelievable! I was able to watch the last part of the game online which was pretty fun! Isn't technology great!

When the new school opened in 1999 (I'm getting old!) I was a sophomore and cheerleader for the Varsity Football team.  At the time our football team was not the pride and joy of our community.   Don't get me wrong, everyone loved going to football games, but our team was a joke.  The local news stations would even make fun of us for loosing so much.  Our first two seasons, we lost every game.  Many of the scores were 82-0, 78-0, etc... (don't quote me number by number, remember I'm getting old.  Either way, that's pretty bad!!) 

It wasn't until my Senior year that we finally won a game against Salisbury!  You would've thought the goalpost would come down with the excitement of that win!  We won two other games that season against North Stokes and South Stokes.  What a year that was for us! County Champs!

I can only imagine what the town of King is like at this moment. State Champions! (They even canceled the local Christmas Parade due to the game today)  Who would've thought that our football program would've come so far.  I'm super proud of our football team and glad to say I was on the sidelines cheering the Wildcats on from day one of the program! Congrats West!!

No comments:

Post a Comment