Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Seismic Improvements



In Vancouver, many of the historic buildings are being retrofitted for seismic improvements. This is so that they will be able to withstand "The Big One", the earthquake that everyone assumes will hit someday. There are basically two steps. A construction company goes to foundation to create a more secure footing. Then they add in structural reinforcement from this footing all the way up through the rest of the building. Now that there is a strong foundation, step two is properly attaching all of the other elements (roof, floor, etc) to that foundation. When done well, seismic improvements make a building stronger without changing the building's appearance.  
**Structural engineers don't shoot me. I'm a pastor with limited understanding of this stuff.

This is what I feel like my Regent education did for me. I might not look different, but I feel confident in what I have always believed in an unshaking way. I am leaving Regent not a different man, but a more well-formed version of who I was when I came. I have found my education to be informing the good things I  already believed but in a way that was setting a firm foundation several layers deeper than I previously knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment