Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Southern Food and Hospitality!

Fried chicken, mac and cheese, sweet tea, hash brown casserole, banana pudding, cold oven pound cake....yum!  Who doesn't love southern food? 

This past weekend we hosted a Southern foods party for our friends here in Vancouver.  It was so nice to practice hospitality and have friends over! When we first moved here to Vancouver a good friend of mine from Wilmington encouraged me to start practicing hospitality as soon as possible to start making it feel like a home here. Great advice...it is indeed good for the soul to open up your home to others!

In preparing for the supper, I found it's hard to find some common southern ingredients:  White Lily Flour, Pinto beans and Luizanne tea!  Especially the tea!  I went to Safeway, Walmart, Superstore, and a few other places and couldn't find "normal" black tea anywhere.  All I could find were flavored teas and "Orange Pekoe" tea! I was pretty disheartened and shocked that they didn't sell the tea I needed.

After doing a little research though,  I came upon an amazing discovery...apparently "Orange Pekoe"  tea IS normal tea!  Who would've thought?  I thought it was an orange flavored Asian tea.  I'm happy to know I can make sweet tea here in Vancouver.  Hope any other southern sweet tea fans living abroad can learn from this mishap. :-)

Here's the one picture I took from our southern evening.  I need to start taking and posting more pictures!
I found these flowers at a local produce store/market on the way home one day.  What do you think they are??  (I'll post the answer after I have a few guesses!)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds fun and I'm sure your new friends had a great time. The flowers are pretty and my guess would be cabbage since that's what I think they look like. I miss you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a party! I'm sure those Canadians loved your southern cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabbage is super close! It's actually kale!! :-)

    ReplyDelete