Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

The Everyday

I've enjoyed posting about all the fun things Matt and I have gotten to do while here in Canada, but I thought I'd take some time to highlight our normal everyday life.  I'll start with my work, and "maybe" Matt can update you with his studies sometime soon. (Let's say, reading week?)

For the past year, I've been working in an independent living retirement community here in Vancouver.  Although I still miss being in the classroom teaching, I'm also enjoying my job teaching in a different way to a different age group of "students"

Some highlights from work this past year:

Arbutus Walk and Roll
1K Walk

Sports Skills Weekends:  Bocce

Fit For Life Day
Kind of like field day from Elementary School


National Seniors' Day Flash Mob


When I'm not spending my time choreographing flash mobs or playing Wii Golf, I encourage our fabulous seniors to exercise!  It is challenging, rewarding and always a good learning experience everyday!  Most of my average days are spent tracking down those who have forgotten their personal training times, counting repetitions (or mostly keeping count), and trying to figure out if the word "pain" is a serious problem or just a feeling of their muscles moving and being stretched.  The latest project I've gotten to implement in our community is a few small "interest" exercise groups.  One for Osteoporosis and another for individuals with Parkinson's Disease.  As with starting anything "new", it's both exciting and stressful. Will residents show up? Will they stick with the new exercise programs?  Will they enjoy it? Will this be a success or complete failure?  I'm hoping for success, but we shall see with time. In spite of my worries, I've really enjoyed researching and learning about how exercise can be a "medicine" for these conditions and hope in some way these exercise groups will benifit our seniors!  I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment