Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Jobs...

Matt is off to his second day of classes and I'm here in the basement suite on the laptop looking for jobs. Don't you wish we could trade places?? Just kidding.  Looking for jobs is such a daunting task, so I thought I'd take a break and update the blog! It's more fun! 

First, I'll tell you about the current job I have. :-) I am working as a gymnastics instructor at this place downtown called Jump Gymnastics.  It is an educational gymnastics studio for ages 6mths-8yrs. I teach classes, encourage physical literacy, facilitate birthday parties, and provide activities to do while parents are away on "Date Nights".  It's pretty fun so far, but it is very part time.  This week I'm only on the schedule for 6 hours and at most I'll only ever have 20 hours. I'm so thankful and grateful for the part time job, but honestly that's not what we need to live here in Vancouver.

If you could just take a few seconds and say a prayer for a full time job, one that would provide for all our living expenses while we're here.  And also for my heart to not be discouraged while searching and waiting for a job, that would be great....thanks friends.


So my journey for looking for jobs has been so-so today.  I've gone from emailing my resume to various schools, tutoring agencies, universities....to getting dressed up and physically taking my resume down the street a few blocks and giving it to a school. (Which sadly, I didn't get to speak to anyone, only had the opportunity to hand it to the person at the front desk.) The most entertaining part of my day was receiving an email from a tutoring agency that I was following up with about a job I applied for over a week ago.

This email was not, we received your application, we're narrowing down our choices, etc.... it was, "We need your SAT scores.  You must have scored a 750 on Math and a 750 on the Verbal to work here.  Company Policy"  Seriously, that's what the email basically said.

It's been over a decade since I've taken the SAT...are you kidding me?  I don't even know where I could obtain my official scores and I know I didn't make a 1500 on it either!  My masters degree in teaching and job experience aren't good enough? You don't even want to meet me? You just want to know what I made on the SAT in high school to determine if I'd be a good tutor and employee? (FYI-this tutoring company was for K-12 all subjects too, not just SAT Prep)

So, I think that place might be off the list since I was not a genius standardized test taker like my MENSA husband. :-)  Oh well.... I think I'll let Matt update the blog for y'all tomorrow and let you hear more about his classes.

1 comment:

  1. praying for your job search Liz! and for life as y'all continue to adjust!

    ReplyDelete