Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Update from Matt

Friends,  If you've ever been new somewhere, where people only have a glimpse of who you are, and it feels like everything is just slightly off, then you know how we're feeling.  I don't want to dwell on problems of new, but please continue to pray for us to find places to know and be known.  For financial stresses to dissolve, and for good friends.

What I'm excited to tell you about is my new part time job.  Library janitor.  I don't mean to brag, but its kind of a big deal.  I get to run a vacuum, dust books, and enforce the no food/beverage policy.  For four hours a night twice a week, I get to be as quiet as a mouse hopping and bopping around the John Richard Allison Library at Regent College.  Sometimes if its really slow, I get to make sure the books are in the right order, and if it's really busy I get to help the circulation desk.  In all seriousness, I'm really grateful for the extra income and mostly tedious mindless work.

Finally, a quick report on classes.  I've been reading quite a bit, mostly historical overviews of the early church and background info on the Old Testament.  Did you know that Constantine was baptized an Arian (the heresy claiming Christ was not God; refuted in the Nicene creed)?  Or that the monastic movement was a grassroots attempt to flee an increasingly power-hungry church?  
I've got my first (moderately) big research paper coming up and a fill-in-the-blank midterm on half of the Old Testament.
Hebrew is still hard.  I got back my first test and got a C+.  Not good enough.  A fun fact as you read the OT, the word "melek" in all its various spellings is the word for king.  That's why so many kings and court officials are named Abimelek or Melech or Ebed-melek, etc.

Thanks for following us.

2 comments:

  1. Matt,
    I am sure you are the best library janitor they have ever had. I can picture you saying "take that two liter coke outside" in your stern voice.
    Liz,
    I am glad your job is going well. I will pray that both of you can become more comfortable with your new places and jobs.

    Emily Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for the both of you. Transitions are difficult especially so far from friends and family. Trusting that I exactly where God wants me has always been comforting. Also knowing that in that exact spot I am meeting people I am supposed to meet and seeing what God wants me to see, to move forward in my life.

    ReplyDelete